BetBlocker is a free-to-use app developed to provide an extra layer of protection for individuals who wish to control their gambling habits or completely refrain from it. Its core objective is to empower users to manage their online gambling activities effectively.
The app targets two main user categories. The first comprises individuals struggling with gambling addiction. For them, BetBlocker serves as a self-exclusion tool to mitigate the urge to gamble online. The second category includes responsible gamblers who want to ensure their hobby doesn’t spiral out of control.
How BetBlocker Works?
When installed on your device, be it a computer, smartphone, or tablet, BetBlocker acts as a firewall, blocking access to a comprehensive list of gambling websites. This list isn’t stagnant; the team behind BetBlocker constantly updates it to ensure it includes new or emerging online gambling platforms.
BetBlocker allows users to choose the duration of the gambling site blockade. The range is wide – from 24 hours up to five years. Once a blocking period is activated, the user cannot deactivate it prematurely, ensuring a strict commitment to the self-imposed exclusion period.
Disabling BetBlocker: Is It Possible to Remove?
It’s worth noting that while you can technically uninstall BetBlocker, it won’t remove the active blocking period. BetBlocker is designed this way to deter impulsive decision-making. Even if you uninstall and reinstall the app, the initially chosen exclusion period remains intact.
When your chosen exclusion period ends, BetBlocker will automatically deactivate, restoring your access to the previously blocked gambling websites.
BetBlocker: Can You Bypass It?
Gambling-blocking software like BetBlocker is designed to be robust, making it difficult to bypass. However, several methods could potentially get around BetBlocker, especially for players who have control over their betting impulses. Please bear in mind that we strongly advise against these methods for individuals grappling with gambling addiction.
- Switching Devices: BetBlocker needs to be installed on each device to block access to gambling sites effectively. If you’ve only installed it on certain devices, you can switch to an unblocked device to access betting sites.
- Non-BetBlocker Sportsbooks: BetBlocker covers over 13,000 betting websites, but not all of them. Some of the newest betting sites, especially those not on Gamstop or unaffected by NetNanny, might be accessible.
- Betting at Physical Shops: BetBlocker and other gambling blocking tools only apply to online gambling. Therefore, it’s entirely possible to place your bets at brick-and-mortar betting shops.
- Waiting Out the Exclusion Period: Perhaps the simplest and most responsible way to bypass BetBlocker is to not bypass it at all. Instead, let the exclusion period run its course. Once the period ends, and you’re in a better mental space, you may consider resuming your betting activities.
|👨💻 Platform||Available on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac devices|
|⌛ Blocking Period||From 24 hours up to 5 years|
|✅ Removal||Cannot be removed during the blocking period|
|🚫 Bypassing Mechanism||Highly resistant, even to VPNs|
|⭐ Target Users||Individuals seeking to control or stop online gambling|
Advantages of Using BetBlocker
- It’s Free:
There’s no cost associated with using BetBlocker, making it accessible to everyone.
- Broad Platform Compatibility:
The app works across multiple operating systems, including Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS.
- Flexibility in Blocking Period:
Users can choose a blocking period that suits their needs, ranging from as little as 24 hours up to a maximum of 5 years.
- Comprehensive Coverage:
BetBlocker maintains an extensive list of gambling sites and constantly updates it to stay current.
- Robust Mechanism:
The app is designed to resist circumvention attempts, even through VPNs, reinforcing its effectiveness.
Drawbacks of Using BetBlocker
- Irreversible Blocking Period:
Once a blocking period is set, it cannot be deactivated until it ends. While this feature helps maintain discipline, it could be inconvenient for users who set a long blocking period and later change their mind.
- Lack of Customisation:
BetBlocker doesn’t allow users to create a custom list of websites to block. It blocks all websites on its extensive list, which might include sites that users don’t want to block.
Other Tools Similar to BetBlocker
While BetBlocker is a fantastic tool for managing online gambling habits, it’s not the only one out there. Here are some alternative gambling-blocking tools you might want to consider:
- Gamban: Similar to BetBlocker, Gamban blocks access to online gambling sites. However, unlike BetBlocker, it comes with a small annual fee but provides the option to block other categories of sites as well. To get around Gamban, you check the list of casinos not on Gamban.
- Gamstop: Primarily for UK residents, Gamstop is a free service that lets you self-exclude from all online gambling sites registered with the scheme. The self-exclusion period options are six months, one year, or five years. The way to bypass it is casinos not on Gamstop.
- NetNanny: NetNanny goes beyond gambling websites to provide a comprehensive web filtering tool. It’s particularly useful for parents wanting to control their children’s internet access. It does require a subscription, but it offers a broad range of features.
- Betfilter: Betfilter is another paid software designed to block online gambling activities. Its unique selling point is that it promises no over-blocking – meaning it won’t unnecessarily block non-gambling sites.
Betting Sites that avoid BetBlocker
If you want to avoid BetBlocker for any reason, there are a large number of sites to do so. Our expert Steve Ashwell recommends the following brands:
How does BetBlocker work?
BetBlocker operates by blocking your device’s access to an extensive list of online gambling websites. It uses filters that identify and block gambling-related content, whether it’s a specific betting platform or a gambling-related advertisement.
How do I get rid of BetBlocker?
If you’ve set a self-exclusion period, you’ll need to wait until that period has ended. For Android users, removing BetBlocker before the end of the chosen exclusion period requires a factory reset, which will delete all data on the device. If you’re using an Apple device, you cannot remove BetBlocker until the exclusion period has finished – there’s no workaround.
What is the best gambling blocker?
BetBlocker is a robust, free choice for many. Gamban and BetFilter offer additional features for a small fee. For a comprehensive web filter, consider NetNanny. Ultimately, your unique needs will determine the best choice for you.